Shepherd of the Woods in Jacksonville, FL, has been serving in Tarma, Peru, since 2009 when God led them there and a new Lutheran mission church began. In 2018, as part of the church’s outreach ministry, and with the blessed support of a Great Commission Society Grant, an after-school program named Kingdom Kids (Niños del Reino) was developed. The ministry serves children who live in poverty and have no after-school supervision until their parents return each day from work in the fields. Being unfamiliar with Lutheranism, the mission development pastor teaches faith classes and each Sunday, the sanctuary is filled with many of the children.
Modeled after the love and care of Jesus Christ, those who serve this ministry have the opportunity to meet the needs of the children and concerns of the teachers. Kingdom Kids functions not just for the academics, but also provides a safe and loving environment to hear the Good News. Some of the children are hearing the message of Jesus Christ for the first time. This faith-based after school ministry is one avenue in which they can put their faith in action, using God’s gifts and establishing a presence of Christ’s care and hope in Tarma.
We would love for your to partner with Kingdom Kids. Mission Trips to Tarma, Peru generally happen twice a year in January and June. You are invited! In the past, Kingdom Kids has received several years of grant funding from the NALC. Continuing donations received will go directly to supporting the following program needs:
• Providing a hot meal for each child each day (77¢ per meal or $450 a month!)
• Providing a cook to prepare the meals ($200 a month)
• Providing a licensed professor each day to help children with homework ($200 a month)
• Providing a licensed psychologist who assists the children and family with life skills ($100 a month)
• Providing school/learning supplies and internet for the children ($100 a month)
To learn more, visit their website.